organizing with Eddie Ross…

Eddie1

Now that the New Year is here, it’s time to say goodbye to the holiday clutter and hello to style and order.

Who better to curl up with on your laptop and chat about organizing and style than the one and only Eddie Ross?  Yes, the same über talented Eddie Ross with the quickly growing design empire who left us agog after each episode of Top Design.  The same Eddie Ross who has rapidly become the design wonder-boy of our industry and creative genius of the blogosphere.  I must confess that part of me wants to put him in a glass box and keep him all to myself.  I’d be certain to place him on a high shelf [next to stylized Creamware of course] so the kids and cat won’t touch him.  We’d flea together, shop for hours on end and chat over hot tea while polishing silver.  Maybe he would even share a few of his gourmet recipes and flower arranging tips with me.

But what about the remaining twenty million females who would want to do the same with their ideal shopping, styling, and designing BFF?

Okay.  Maybe storing Eddie Ross isn’t my best design idea, but this interview surely is in the top ten.  And I’m lucky enough to call Eddie a friend.  Let’s find out how he stores that amazing silver collection in a cozy NY apartment and how we can display our own prized pieces in a most stylish way.

Welcome, Eddie.

SS:    When organizing, I like to…

ER:    Take things out and not hide them. For example, I keep all my silverware in antique glass celery jars on my kitchen counter. That way, they’re organized, accessible and pretty!  My whiteware too I keep in organized in stacks. I’m all about a beautiful pile!

Eddie.china

SS:    My favorite de-clutter trick is…

ER:    Editing.  Think about what you use, what you don’t and what you’ve completely forgotten you even had! Just because something was expensive doesn’t mean you need to hold on to it for dear life. Donate it, sell it, give it to a friend. Make room for something you really love, and you’ll be happier for it.

SS:    My criteria for keeping something is…

ER:    Do I really use it? Is it my style now?

SS:    I add creative storage by…

ER:    Shopping smart at The Container Store. They have so many great organizational things you need but may not know about yet.

Eddie.deskitems

SS:    My favorite stylish storage essential is…

ER:    Clear Lucite boxes from The Container Store. They’re great in medicine cabinets for toiletries and on desks for paper clips, pins, etc. Everything’s organized and very visible. There’s nothing worse than wanting to find something and not knowing where it is!

Lucite2
SS:    When it comes to organizing, I’m inspired by…

ER:    Pretty piles of stuff. I may make messes, but they’re pretty ones!

SS:    You may be surprised to know that I…

ER:   Don’t have any formal training in design.

SS:   I would describe my style as….

ER:    New traditional. Classic with a twist. A fresh take on familiar shapes.  Old pieces updated for today. It’s livable, affordable and I think quite beautiful!

Eddie.style

SS:    My favorite design splurge is…

ER:    Good bedding and towels. Splurge on things you touch. T.J. Maxx has the best white 1000 count bedding. 60 bucks for a queen set!

SS:    One of my design goals this year is…

ER:    To do a book on sophisticated flea market style.

Eddie.fern

SS:    I add simple beauty to my home by…

ER:    Polishing my silver often with Gorham polish and keeping perfectly pressed antique linen hand towels by the sink.

Eddie.handtowels

Thanks for stopping by, Eddie.  Can’t wait for that upcoming flea market trip in the city!

If that didn’t satisfy your Eddie fix, then head over here and here to get a few more of his fab ideas on organizing and editing your home accessories.  Also, each picture here is linked to its respective post on Eddie’s site.  So click away!

[photos courtesy of Eddie Ross]

This entry was posted in Interviews, Organizing. Bookmark the permalink. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 7, 2009 at 6:29 am | Permalink | Edit

Great post! Love all the pics that illustrate the advice. Also thanks for the suggestions on Atlanta – I’m looking forward to it. Michele

2. N
    Posted January 7, 2009 at 6:55 am | Permalink | Edit

Fun post and great timing as I was tossing around re-org ideas in my head in my “office” this morning. Thank you Seleta and Eddie!
    Can’t wait for that flea-market fun book to come out…I will be on the waiting list!

3. Posted January 7, 2009 at 8:11 am | Permalink | Edit

I {heart} Eddie Ross.
    He needs to come out with a book.

4. Posted January 7, 2009 at 8:25 am | Permalink | Edit

oh man, I will need multiple copies of that book. loved hearing is opinions on something different! thanks!

5. Posted January 7, 2009 at 8:29 am | Permalink | Edit

great interview. eddie ross rocks!

6. Posted January 7, 2009 at 8:35 am | Permalink | Edit

I (heart) you! Thank you for such a sweet post!

7. Posted January 7, 2009 at 9:32 am | Permalink | Edit

Love this! I’m a huge fan of Eddie’s site and this is a great post. Will have to check out your site as well. :)

8. Posted January 7, 2009 at 9:41 am | Permalink | Edit

[clapping] Bravo! Bravo!

9. Posted January 7, 2009 at 9:59 am | Permalink | Edit

What a great post! Guess what I just took a break from? Cleaning out and organizing! I love doing this. I went through one linen closet (on Monday’s post)and have been onto the next… Thanks for a wonderful post!

10. Posted January 7, 2009 at 10:00 am | Permalink | Edit

Love your idea’s and your style, found you thru Eddie! :-)
    Cathleen

11. Posted January 7, 2009 at 10:22 am | Permalink | Edit

Great interview! I love Eddie. I’m sure the goal of that book will be met soon. I’ll sure pick up a copy.

12. Posted January 7, 2009 at 11:31 am | Permalink | Edit

What perfect timing, as I’ve just begun a huge reorganization project. My job for the next month or so is to tackle all those areas (too many to list) I’ve been avoiding for too long! Eddie’s ideas are fabulous (and so is that room with the bust in front of the fireplace). I’m definitely going to purchase some new storage solutions at the Container Store (check out his site and the nifty Ziploc bag storage piece).
    Thanks for such a fun post!

13. Posted January 7, 2009 at 1:50 pm | Permalink | Edit

Oh I love Eddie too!! He’s the best!! Great post :)

14. Posted January 7, 2009 at 1:52 pm | Permalink | Edit

Seleta, every time I read your blog I want to redecorate. After this post, I want to organize and that says a lot, knowing my two boys and the dogs will destroy all my efforts after 10 minutes.

15. Posted January 7, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Permalink | Edit

Yummy!! He does inspire one to want to organize. Something I need to do lots and lots of over the next few weeks. Thanks Seleta!

16. Posted January 7, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Permalink | Edit

LOL! What a darling post! He is so sweet and talented!

17. Posted January 7, 2009 at 3:56 pm | Permalink | Edit

Girlfriend, we would have to do a “time share” on that glass box…I don’t have stylized Creamware, but I would get some!
    Really enjoyed reading this article.

18. Posted January 7, 2009 at 4:29 pm | Permalink | Edit

I’m one of Eddie’s new fans! I would buy his book in a heartbeat!
    diane

19. Posted January 7, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Permalink | Edit

I kind of want to run to the Container Store right now. :-)

20. Michelle S
    Posted January 7, 2009 at 5:03 pm | Permalink | Edit

Congrats on your interview with ER. You should talk him into coming to the beaches of 30A. He would love it here!!

21. Posted January 7, 2009 at 5:59 pm | Permalink | Edit

You know, there’s a Container Store right by a mall that’s about 45 minutes from our home. I’ve NEVER gone there, because my girls are always tired from the mall and never want to stop. I swear, I’m making time next time! Loved, loved, loved the photos and comments. I’m kind of on a tear about clearing clutter and getting organized myself these days, and am loving a book called “Your Spacious Self.” Perfect antidote for a cluttered house and cluttered mind. I’ve read countless books and even gone to seminars (more than I care to admit!) but have found this book blends the practical with the soulful in a whole new and expansive way.
    clearing clutter and

22. Beth
    Posted January 7, 2009 at 6:43 pm | Permalink | Edit

Wonderful post! Wish the closest Container Store wasn’t a 2 hour drive!

23. Posted January 7, 2009 at 7:06 pm | Permalink | Edit

Thanks for asking the questions we all want to know… too bad we can’t do the glass box idea!!!

24. Posted January 7, 2009 at 8:54 pm | Permalink | Edit

love. love. love.

25. kathysue
    Posted January 8, 2009 at 10:34 am | Permalink | Edit

seleta,I was so excited when I was at Eddie’s blog to see you had done this interview.I LOVE Eddie and he is visited by me everyday.You both have the same wonderful fresh take on classic and traditional design.I find you both very grounded young people and even if I am older I am learning from the both of you.This was a great post and as always the way you put words to paper (screen) always makes for a great and entertaining read. Hugs to you,Kathysue

26. Posted January 8, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Permalink | Edit

I love your vintage linens…that’s my weekness! They are so beautiful!

27. Posted January 8, 2009 at 6:09 pm | Permalink | Edit

oops, meant weakness not weekness!

28. Posted January 9, 2009 at 8:31 am | Permalink | Edit

I adore Eddie… his design is sophisticated and eclectic.

29. Posted January 14, 2009 at 6:30 am | Permalink | Edit

Eddie is a favorite. So many great tips and tricks of the trade in making a home beautiful with small (and Large) touches.

30. Posted January 20, 2009 at 12:36 pm | Permalink | Edit

Please write the book Eddie — sounds like a great read.
    Enjoyed the Q&A.