beauty post [part one]

Eye-makeup_300

I frequently receive emails inquiring about what make-up and skin care I use.

I’ve delayed in responding because I keep dreaming that I’ll write a series of brilliant posts about cosmetics and list all of my favorite beauty products with pretty pictures.  Let’s ditch the perfectionism and just dive right in.  Plus, with Valentine’s day approaching, this seems like a relevant topic.

**EDITED TO ADD** this post was written years ago, so some of the products are discontinued.  I’ve provided alternate products and links.  I also use some other lipstick products which are shared in more current posts.

Today let’s talk about lipstick.

Picture 7

THE COLOR SITUATION

Because I have fair, olive skin, I wrestle with a green undertone in my complexion [my Dad is very olive,  my mom is very fair].  Consequently it’s hard for me to wear pinks or reds with blue undertones.  Nor can I wear a screaming red lipstick, because it overpowers my whole face and I end up looking strange.  Believe it or not, I’ve spent countless hours and years trying to find the right brands and perfect colors.  So I hope you can benefit from today’s post!

My mainstay lipstick is Lancome because it doesn’t make my lips too dry – and their colors always impress.  If there’s one thing I never can do without in my make-up bag, it’s a tube of Lancome.

The colors I’m sharing will work well with just about any skin tone.  They’re fresh, classic and not too bright.

THE ESSENTIALS

Let me first share my must-haves for making a beautiful lip

1.  Lipliner 2. Lancomb1 Lancomb2

3.                    Lipgloss                          4.  Lipstick

1.  Revlon’s lipliner in the color Sienna.  Pick it up at walmart right here.  Not too brown, not too pale, not too scary dark or red.  I’ll tell you straight up, I cannot live without this product.

2.  My two favorite Lancome current lipsticks:  first color is Natural Beauty found here, second is Crème de Marron (discontinued).  Natural Beauty is a soft, natural color – it looks a little dark and earthy here but it has more apricot than it shows.  Great shade when you have smokey eyes.

3.  Bonnie Bell lipgloss in Cappuccino.  Discontinued – but found some on Amazon here.

It’s totally cheap and looks great over the Sienna lipliner.  It also smells good.  FUNNY STORY:  I learned about this lip gloss from a broadway singer friend years ago – she was living in New York.  One night out in the city, my friend went to the ladies room and touched up her lipgloss.  In walked Gwyneth Paltrow.  Gwyneth asked, “what lipgloss is that you’re putting on, I love it!?”  My friend said she laughed when she told her it was Bonnie Bell – something you can pick up at Walmart.  Can you imagine telling Gwyneth Paltrow that?

4.  Laura Mercier creme lipstick in Caramel.  Discontinued color – alternate colors here

THE TRICK TO PRETTY + LASTING COLOR

The secret?  Blend.  Blend.  Blend.  Before I apply any lipstick, I lightly apply the Revlon lip liner inside the edge of my lip line and also FILL IN the rest of the lips.  Key word:  lightly!  This is a very tricky thing to do.  You could easily walk away looking like Morticia from The Adams Family, a clown, or the main character in a horror movie.  Due to this potential disaster, I have found again and again that this particular lipliner and color is amazing.  It’s the PERFECT foundation for applying almost any color.  If I want my lips to look light and fresh, I put it under my Laura Mercier “Caramel.”  If I want them to look more colorful or dark, I put it under Lancome’s “Crème de Marron.”

The important part:  when you apply the Revlon liner under your color, your lipstick has something to kind of “hang on” to.  And since you’ve filled in your lipliner instead of just lining it, you never have that weirdo line once your lipstick rubs off.

.          .         .          .

Holy smokes, did I just talk that long about lipstick?  For those of you who made it this far down without falling asleep or leaving, thanks for humoring me!  And happy lipstick hunting!

[first photo from here and second from Ericka McConnell]

This entry was posted in Beauty, Make-up. Bookmark the permalink. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Melissa says:

I believe my lips deserve a blossom bouquet for Valentine’s Day!
    Great tips Seleta!

2. Frances Jackson says:

I’m a Lancome make-up lover, love the creme de marron shade. It seems to go well with my coloring, brunette with brown eyes. Never been a fan of lip liners, but then that could be because I’ve seen toooooo many freakish lips, sans lipstick that’s worn off leaving cartoon lips lined with crayons, or so it looks. I’ll have to try the trick to shade lips allover with lip liner and then apply lipstick. Sounds like a great tip! Thanks and Happy Valentines Day!

3. Tracy says:

Love these tips! I’m ready to change up my lip gloss, I think we have similar coloring – so these tips are awesome.
    Happy Valentine’s Day!

4. Terrific Beauty tips from a beauty!! I am ready to try the Lip lights gloss!
    Karena

5. kathy says:

That is a funny story about the lip gloss. I think it’s good to share make-up ideas. With all the products out there, one can get very confused, and in the process, spend alot of money on products that sit in a drawer.
    Thank you!

6. janet says:

Thank you so much for posting~ I have been on pins and needles waiting for this……( and you know I really have been!)
    Thanks again Seleta! Looking forward to your other “beauty tips” ~ If only all these things could make me look half as good as you. You were truly blessed with gorgeous genes~ and a beautiful heart! :)

7. susan anneheim mitchell says:

Totally LOVE sienna lipliner! Thanks so much for sharing that info Seleta. I too have spent countless time and money searching for the right red. And this one sure works great against my coloring as well. Love your makeup tips. Have your checked out Makeupalley.com? Its a great site

8. Rachel Ridd says:

What a great post. Your skin truly looks flawless in your photos. I feel like I need you to fill my brain with all of your knowledge about these things. I have olive skintones and I have no clue what shade you’re supposed to wear with that! haha I my current favorite lipstick is Melt by Victoria Secret, but I think that I am going ot have to pick up some of the liner and gloss!

9. shelli says:

I love all your posts and the beauty one has come at the perfect time! Thanks for all your inspiration across the board!!

10. Lori says:

Thanks for sharing. I hate wearing lipstick (it feels funny and tastes bad usually). I will try some of these out because my mother tells me I need to wear lipstick “like a grownup” hee hee I am 47.

11. modgirl says:

Thanks for the tips! Great beaute´post, must get that lipliner! :)
    •modGIRL

12. Focipresley (Bon) says:

LOL – listen, the post was totally worth it. My complexion sounds exactly like yours and – damn straight – I am going to follow your advice! I think I’ve always had lipstick colour issues…so instead I’ve resorted to ‘Sexy Mother Pucker’ gloss (by Soap & Glory Cosmetics). LOL Cheers, Happy Day!

13. julie says:

laura mercier is my absolute fav!!

14. All I wear is the Bonnie Bell lipgloss in Cappuccino. I love it. I probably have 15 tubes of it stashed here and there. But you can do that since it’s so cheap!!

15. Just ordered the cappuccino lip gloss!

16. Laura says:

love this post! can’t wait for more!

17. Morning T says:

Such a fun post Seleta…I’ll be seeking out that Revlon liner for sure!

18. Dee says:

I’m always on the lookout for great makeup tips and suggestions, so thanks, Seleta! There’s such a sea of lipstick colors out there, so I love to hear suggestions from people with great style!

19. Pierre says:

Oh la la…

20. Cindy says:

I’m a MAC girl. My all time fav is Viva Glam V. Definitely gonna try that Bonnie Bell gloss!!

21. Julia says:

I really enjoyed this post…love it!

22. jbhat says:

Now, see, I love posts like this. I adore it when people share their product recommendations.
    I have a current personal favorite: Covergirl’s Outlast in 545 (natural something). It seriously stays on my lips ALL DAY LONG, and isn’t drying like some all day lipsticks. It stays on through eating and drinking! It doesn’t come off on my kiddos or husband when I smooch them! I actually have to use makeup remover to get it off when I wash my face at night! Okay, maybe it’s faded a little by bedtime, but it’s still on. And looking good, too! The other night my sister complimented my lips and couldn’t believe that I hadn’t applied anything since that morning. As I live and breathe!
    jbhat

23. mustang says:

My absolute favorite lipstick is Laura Mercier Sheer lip color, in “Healthy Lips.” Although I think all of the colors in this line are good. It’s smooth and has no icky taste. I like Mac colors but it’s too dry for me.
    Thanks for the good suggestions.

24. janet says:

…….”you never have that weirdo line once your lipstick rubs off”…. HAHAHA! I re-read your post again 9 hours later and this “line” is still cracking me up! I see woman with that all the time and I just want to go up to them and smudge it in!
    Anxiously awaiting Part Two~

25. Cecile says:

Fun post Seleta. Love the beauty tips as much as the design tips!

26. Sara Jane says:

I LOVE the Bonnie Bell lipgloss in Cappucino! It’s one of my go-to daily products. I’ve seriously been wearing it since high school and it never ceases to amaze me how it can look casual and natural by itself or really glam over a darker color for evening. I’ve tried tons of other glosses and lipsticks and it’s still my old faithful that I always come back to.

27. kathysue says:

Seleta, I could talk even longer and would not mind if you did. I am a total lipstick junky . I hate to admit how many I have and have tried. Shameful it is a little non-harmful addiction of mine. I look at it as a inexpensive alternative pleasure other than an expensive purchase of something else. I will check these out. Lancomme does make a good product and it does have staying power. Look forward to more of these beauty tips. Kathysue

28. Tiffanie says:

Glad others ask what I really want to know. I always notice your lips in your pictures and have always wondered what lipstick you are wearing. Thanks for sharing.

29. Anonymous says:

Thanks for all of the great comments. Ill try to crank out the next beauty post for you asap!
    xoxo
    Seleta

30. jen says:

thanks for sharing. I hear you on it taking years to find the right lipcolor. I have been searching for years and still haven’t come up with anything of value. I will have to try your colors and tricks!

31. Christine says:

LOVE these kinds of posts! Can you share what you wear for foundation- powder. I have Aveda Dual preformance powder in Honey, it’s amazing!! I get so many compliments on my skin since I started using it. Thanks for the tips!!

32. Dee says:

Hi Seleta, not sure if you’re able to read comments from older posts, but here goes! I wanted to pass along a color I think you’d enjoy, based on your current favorites. (It’s a drugstore cheapie, which makes it even better!) Try CoverGirl TruShine in Blushberry 415. It has a bit of a brownish tone with some rosy tones as well. Great shine and more on the sheer side. FYI in case you’re looking for something new to try!

33. candy says:

OMG i cant believe Im reading this. I have been wearing Bonnie Bell cappucino lip gloss for YEARS. I thought it was my little secret. Once I was told by a clerk in walmart that they discontinued it so the next time I saw it, I bought them ALL – I never go out without it and even after a few hours on the lips, it looks even better. SO funny to read this!!

SeletaI‘m Seleta, a city girl living the beach life with my family. A former TV personality turned designer, I love to share the sparkly side of life. Read more here.