This week I’m showing your some organizing projects around my house. I finally tackled some of the most used spaces in our home.
[insert dramatic music here with announcers voice]
The laundry room and downstairs c-l-o-s-e-t.
I had a friend help out.
We started by emptying all of the laundry room drawers, cabinets and cluttered closet. Then laid it all out on the floor. I had no idea how much junk I had crammed into such a small closet. We went through every single thing and made a quick decision to keep or toss. Here is my friend investigating the world’s longest JCrack receipt she found in a bag…
She began to yell at me for how much was purchased on the receipt. I ignored her and took pics instead. Then I snatched it
quickly, but upon inspection, I realized the receipt was NOT mine, but belonged to a different friend who visited and borrowed my bag this summer. I cannot reveal the person – must protect her identity. But I’m sure she’s laughing while reading this.
We took out five trash bags of junk. That felt so good.
After discarding what I didn’t need for day to day use, we then categorized everything and put into piles. To save money, we emptied existing plastic boxes that I had purchased years ago from Target. Then we put the organized piles in the plastic boxes and printed the categories on these adorable little labels I bought from right here.
It’s a double edged sword having a pal help you de-clutter. On the one hand, they are helping you stay focused and motivated, on the other hand, they see all of your bad habits. I was busted me on my “stationary obsession.”
But the labels were looking good. And I was getting more organized.
Instead of placing these boxes back in the laundry room closet, I decided it would make much more sense to put them in the family room next to the main area where the kids do homework and I write notes. That way I’m not always walking to the back of the house through piles of dirty laundry to get our supplies.
And here is how it ended up looking. Our new homework and craft station!
I’d like to point out that today’s project cost only $5 since I worked with existing inventory. I could have easily gone out and spent $$$ on new containers, but it was fun working with what I had and just jazzing it up with sassy labels. Now I know where all of our frequently used items are – and my husband doesn’t get confused when he has to search for something. Plus he knows where to put it back! Score. Still working on the offspring.
And when this chest is all closed up, it looks like a regular piece of furniture.
Next I’ll show you how I made an economical craft station for kids and what we ended up putting in our laundry room closet…