coco chanel

Foreign film fest continues in our house this summer.  It always takes place late at night, after all of the little people have been tucked into their beds and have quietly dashed off into their slumber.

Last night we watched the French film, Coco before Chanel starring the fabulous Audrey Tautou. The story, the costuming, the scenes, the set design and every other detail were brilliant. It’s a MUST see.  I was hooked from the second it started [not even sure I ever blinked] and wished the film lasted at least another two hours.

Picture 44

Shamefully, I have never taken the time to read the biography of Coco Chanel, but her life story revealed through the movie is both heart breaking and compelling. Oddly enough, I related to a few aspects of her deep and complex character – especially the part of feeling so different from everyone around her and being understood by only a few – mainly by her one true love.

Chanel3

So many times she was completely alone despite being among crowds of people.

Chanel1

Everything about her was different.  Her background, her family experiences, her lack of means or social status, her style. But she dared to defy the “rules” no matter what others thought.  And with no apologies.

Love that.

Chanel

[a portrait of chanel]

Picture 43

Go watch this amazing movie and prepare to be more than inspired.

Extra Bonus: it’s not just a chick flick. Your male companion may find it entertaining as well because of the history element plus ample scenes of men’s self congratulatory behavior on their various conquests during that era.

Here is a little snippet to give you a taste.

I only have only one chanel item. Technically two, it’s this pair of shoes. Husband gave them to me as a Christmas gift last year. I treasure them and have reserved wearing them only on special occasions [ones that don’t require a lot of walking because they hurt!]. Knowing Chanel’s story a little better, I now look at those shoes in a whole new light.

Picture 62

What a journey she had coming from nothing yet managing to be the one designer who forever changed the 20th century world of fashion.  Never giving up, never compromising, never doubting her vision.  A remarkable woman indeed.

“Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance.”

Coco Chanel

This entry was posted in Movies I Love. Bookmark the permalink. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. susan anneheim mitchell says:

Love her story. Could relate to parts of her life. I do love how she did things her way. Love your shoes too:)

2. Just discovered your blog and I LOVE it!
    Coco before Chanel is a great movie… watched it last summer on the plane to Paris. I love her life story…. She really was an amazing women!

3. sunny says:

Watched it a few weeks ago…found myself hooked (like you were) from the start of the film. LOVED it.
    a side note: just saw Inception in the theater and it’s also great…and it makes you think. I’m making plans to see it again this weekend.

4. Sarah says:

I loved this movie. We saw it in the theatre and my mind was reeling from all the eye candy for days. That and I had the song her and her sister sang in da club about coco the dog for weeks!

5. Sarah says:

I would think that Chanel shoes should not hurt ones feet!

6. april says:

I totally agree with you about the movie. If you like the historical, make you think type movies, watch The Young Victoria. She too was another inspiring, historical lady. My dad even enjoyed it! Love the shoes!

7. Allison says:

It’s been on my list to see. I’ve been looking forward to it so it was great to see you have a little write up about it on your post. Love your shoes! Very classy!!

8. Okay…sold. I’ll check to see if I can get it on NetFlix tonight!

We saw it last winter! I have always admired her style and her use of materials as a designer. As a young gal, I always wanted that “Chanel” signature look, pearls, a cardigan jacket and those shoes!

10. divabroker says:

I, also, have a great appreciation for her. I’ve seen the same movie twice and loved it. Your analysis was right-on.
    It just so happens that not many days go by without my favorite perfume, Coco Mademoiselle. It’s so weird, it started with Chanel No.5 in college, then Coco in my 30’s, and now Madamoiselle. It just keeps getting better. k

11. CC says:

Thanks for the review…..I shall be heading down the the video store ASAP! ;)

12. Oh, I so want to see this. I love her story and how iconic she and her double C’s became!!! xo Elizabeth

13. Simply Seleta Fan says:

I’m going to have to add this to my netflix. I want to see this. Thanks for the review!

14. Tessa says:

Thank you, Seleta…my Netflix queue was getting a little low…just moved this to my #1 position!

15. I loved the movie – and your shoes are fab, too. A Chanel jacket is on my “hope to own one in my lifetime” list!

16. paula says:

Oh yes, me too! I just adored it and the story wow. although the subtitles almost killed me. Being hyped up on pain meds and reading a tv is hard:)

17. Ella says:

Thanks for reminding me about this movie – I intended to rent it once it came out – but then I forgot. I love Audrey Tatou – and adore Chanel. Your shoe is such a classic piece. I hope to get a quilted flap bag in the near future for my first Chanel item :-)

18. Esther says:

OK, rented it tonight, I love it !!! I was like you glued to the screen. I loved her simplicity, she reminded of my mother when she was ripping the fabric and his t-shirt to make a dress….my mother would design such beautiful dresses and sometimes she would tear old ones apart and remake them to her style and liking. Thanks Seleta !!!