coming up for air

I apologize for my absence in the last few days, but I’ve had some important duties…

IMG_5090

IMG_5091

First day of school was rainy but exciting. Husband was out of town on business, so it was just me and these peeps…plus a wet dog and cuddly cat. The sad face you see in the middle is our birthday girl, who turned six that very morning. She doesn’t like to wake up early, and really detests having her picture made when she’d rather be sleeping. Remember how she was crying in our first day of school picture last year?

I felt heartless and cruel sending her to school on her birthday.

After dropping them off, I decided it was possible to live without mom guilt if I had a small birthday spread waiting for her after school. While wrapping gifts and scattering dashes of pink throughout our breakfast room, I did a good job convincing myself that this would make everything better. Sure enough, when we came home from school, she forgot all about being tired and grumpy and instantly fell for the humble decorations. It was just the five of us, which was quite fun.

IMG_5095

Finally some smiles.

She had a happy helper when it came time to open her gifts. Little guy nominated himself to bring birthday girl each and every one of her gifts and he watched with excitement. I was surprised and inspired by his generous spirit.

IMG_5100

Note: if you have a little girl who loves American Girl accessories, you may want to try out the Target version. This little doll tea set [above] was such a hit, she loved it! You can peek at it right here. It’s a fraction of the cost and the quality seems just as a good.

They played and played. For hours. Big sisters are perfect built-in playmates.

Pom Pom always tracks down the girls when they play house. He especially likes brand new doll beds with comfy bedding.

IMG_5105

On Saturday we had a small tea party at our house with three of her friends. I busted out my white teapot collection and favorite Anthro teacups and saucers. The girls all wore their favorite princess costumes.

Can you think of a more girly way to celebrate a sixth birthday?

IMG_5128

We served them hot tea, finger sandwiches and pink cupcakes. As part of their party favors, I had little white gloves for each princess. They took the glove-wearing quite seriously. It was beyond adorable.

Big sis pouring her tea while a friend adjusts her gloves…

IMG_5126

I could kick myself but didn’t take a picture of the cupcakes I embellished with these beautiful cupcake toppers given to us by friend, Erin, who lives in Italy. They were almost too beautiful to use.  The princess toppers are soft pink and powder blue tones (not as dark as picture) that have a thin foam board in the middle. The best part is that the toothpicks can be easily pulled off, thereby making a tiny paper doll trinket for your daughter. Great for crafts or just for playing!

Princess

Meanwhile…

While I was wrapping up the tea party, husband took off for the airport to pick up one of my best friends who flew in from Colorado with her husband and three children. They’re here with us on vacay for eight days, which isn’t nearly long enough.

So yes, we have had S E V E N children playing together this week. It’s been a blast. And I can assure you that the parents are sleeping very well at night.

Pictures from our week coming soon!!!

This entry was posted in Our Family. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. J. Is a Bird says:

How wonderful! What a perfect mini-birthday party:)

2. pam says:

when i scanned the first photo, then the 2nd photo, i thought… wait a minute, wasn’t she crying on the first day of school last year too?!? bless her heart. glad the day turned around for her. pam

3. Allison says:

What adorable photos! Happy Birthday to your daughter and what a doll she is all dressed up in her white princess outfit having tea. Just precious. Glad she had a better day. Pom Pom is pretty cute, too! Enjoy your visit with your friends.

4. Iman says:

LOL!!! She is too cute. Reminds me of my lil’ one.
    Happy Birthday!!!!
    p.s.love the stripe chaise, I’m kicking myself for not getting that for my lil’ girls.

5. chris says:

Oh my goodness what a sweetie , she must hate gettig up for school everyday , I hope you don’t have an early start like we do here ,our kids start at 7:50 am , yikers
    Happy birthday to your little girl , what a lovely family , it looks so much like mine growing up ,I am from a family with 4 kids , 2 girls 2 boys , fun

6. Nicole says:

What a fun way to celebrate her special day!

7. Eddie says:

That is the most adorable birthday ever!!
    xoxo
    E+J

8. katie says:

what a sweet mama you are!!
    i noticed the sweet powdery pink metal doll bed and highchair. i’m looking at buying that exact bed for my little one (i can only find it from land of nod)- any comments on it? do your girls just love it?

9. Peter says:

Love all the photos. You’re the best mom ever.

10. Anonymous says:

Hi Katie,
    Yes, the bed and high chair set are from Land of Nod. They are very well made and sturdy…and surprisingly heavy! Your little princess will adore it.
    xo
    Seleta

11. Victoria says:

I love a princess tea party! And that great pendant over your table…

12. Tessa says:

I am not sure your children could be any more beautiful! Even when grumpy. Glad the first day of school went off without a hitch. Next week for us. I feel like it starts earlier every year! Luv those cupcake wrappers & toppers!

13. Rachel says:

What a wonderful party Seleta, and I’m thinking of stealing your idea for my about-to-turn 6 yo. Can you elaborate any more on what you did to fill the time? If I invite 5 girls over, I’ll need to come up with something to do for 2 hours besides make/serve tea and cupcakes! Any ideas you have would be most appreciated!!! Thanks so much.

14. dianne says:

Can’t we get school to start a little later for that sweet girl? Oh my, she’s so unhappy in the early morning.

15. Bryn says:

I just love seeing your family. They are so cute and it always makes me want to have kids like NOW. haha

16. elizabeth says:

what an awesome party!!!! i’m glad her frown turned to a grin…..who wouldn’t smile at a table like that!? i’d like that and i’m in my thirties! i love everything down to the polka dot wrapping paper.

17. Kwana says:

Aww a happy birthday on the first say of school. That’s a little hard to take but you made it lovely.

18. Theresa N. says:

How cute. I have been looking for a tea set for my daughter and I just love your tea set! Can you recommend me any places that have nice sets or where you got yours? Thanks

19. amanda says:

Seleta, is the striped chaise AG? I dont recall seeing that in stores/catalog?…we have the same tea set and the LON chair and crib…so fun and I love that they are a little vintage looking. Love the new blog look too!