breezy blue

Love this breezy look.  How could you not be relaxed in a space like this?  If this room were an outfit, maybe it would translate into something similar to this.

Love that subtle pop of blue.

I find that when life gets extremely busy, I instinctively turn to pale blue.  It calms and collects me.  Maybe that’s why I chose to make our entry and master bedroom light blue?

Speaking of busy, this week is pretty packed. I have a little one home sick today, a styling job with a tight deadline, countless after-school commitments and an incredibly busy weekend ahead.  So I’m feeling the pressure as well as a strong desire to surround myself with soft blues.

This is probably a great time to share with you a few of my favorite shades of light blue.  Maybe you’re thinking about a painting project for a special room in your house.  If so, here are three soft blues that will calm the nerves while adding a perfect touch of elegance to your abode.

Note: these paint sample pics look a little muckier here than they do in person.

1. Let’s start with Ben Moore’s # 709 Heavenly Blue.  It’s soft and calming, but offers enough color to keep you interested.  Not the least bit dull, despite this image.  I could see this in a dining room with long linen curtains, a rich mahogany table and nailhead trimmed wingbacks.
  2. Next we have a good ole’ reliable and favorite, Benjamine Moore’s HC-144 Palladian Blue.  This is lighter than the blue above and has great versatility to it. Could be a great shade in a kitchen, baby nursery, living room, hallway or luscious on cabinets!
  3. Last, but not least, we have Benjamin Moore’s #458 Sage Tint.  Although this has a more green undertone to it than the other two light blues, it reads almost a soft robin’s egg blue when up on the walls.  It’s just more of a “mystery blue” because of those grey/green undertones.  There’s also great versatility with this color, in the sense that you can punch it up to feel more blue or pair it with neutrals or chocolates to give it a grey quality.  It’s great option for anyone who’s a little leery of working with cooler blue tones but still wants a subtle blue feeling.

Hope this gave you a few painting ideas.  Moral of the story?  It’s a good thing to surround yourself with calming colors.

1. Kayla Onufer says:

Hmmm…ok, so now maybe blue cabinets in the kitchen.

2. julie says:

to sum it up in one word…LOVELY!! those colors are ever-so soothing!

3. janet says:

L.O.V.E. blue!
    All the main rooms in my house are Restoration Hardware’s Silver Sage. I don’t think I will ever get tired of it. It makes me smile everyday! :)

4. Allison says:

Gorgeous blues, Seleta! Palladian Blue is one of my favorites. I agree that soft blues are so calming, peaceful and serene. I hope you can get a few moments for yourself in your busy week ahead. Take care.

5. Lori H says:

You are so right about blue! We painted our master bedroom in Benjamin Moore Silver Cloud. It looks so beautiful in different lights and so crisp against our Shell White (Duron) trim.

6. I am saving these paint names…I am SO drawn to pale blue – I find it very feminine and pretty – yet not overly sweet as pink can be…when we buy our house – there is definitely going to be a blue room or two!

7. I love a gorgeous blue on walls, furniture, everything! Palladian Blue is my favorite.

8. Jennifer says:

I have Palladian Blue (at 50%) on the ceiling in our bedroom — I love it! It’s like waking up to a lovely blue sky every morning (even when it is storming outside, like today).

9. Beautiful blues… I’ve been itching to do it on the ceiling since I saw Southern Living’s Georgia Idea House. Gorgeous!

Jennifer

10. I completely agree. I painted my bedroom “Hubbard Blue” from Martha’s old Sherwin Williams line (they can still mix it). It’s very similar to your #2 choice. I LOVE it. And surprising enough, my husband loves it too.

I hope your little one gets better, and the rest of the week goes off without a hitch! (Yeah right! But I have no doubt you’ll roll with the punches.)

11. Kathysue says:

I agree nothing more soothing than a pretty blue. I love my blue bedroom and the blue ceiling in myguest room and the blue in my den. I guess I just like blue!! Palladian is a go to blue for sure!! Kathysue

12. Kathysue says:

Seleta check out the pumpkin post I did today for the two little princess’s at your house!!

13. Nuha says:

our master bedroom/ bathroom is blue as well….I’m really drawn to the serenity of a robins egg blue or pale blue…

14. Betsy says:

I’ve been reading for quite awhile, but this is my first comment. I had to add my two cents because this post just sang to me, mostly because of the last paint recommendation – I adore Benjamin Moore’s sage tint and it has calmed me through many a stressful time in life. I first discovered it when I decided I just HAD to paint the white walls in my teeny-tiny NYC bedroom – didn’t care that I’d have to paint the walls back white when I inevitably moved. The color in that room made me happier than it probably should have and provided a surprising calm through the storm of some stressful times. I also met my now-husband that year, and he helped me paint the room (I knew then he was a keeper!). When we bought our first house together, choosing paint colors was far more difficult than I ever imagined. However, when we got to the kitchen, he confidently declared we should paint it “that color of your bedroom in New York that you loved so much.” One of the many reasons I love him. It’s still my favorite, and still often the calm in the midst of the storm!

15. Seleta says:

Betsey – wow, what a testament to the color Sage Tint! I loved reading your comment!!!

Design Esquire – thanks for your kind thoughts on our little one. She’s all better this evening. : )

Sounds like many of us appreciate a hushed blue in our lives. It’s definitely a “can’t go wrong” shade to live with.

xo
    Seleta

16. Pierre says:

Great color post. These blues are calming like your blog colors.

17. Samantha says:

I tried Palladian Blue recently in my daughter’s room and there it was so completely green, I couldn’t see any blue in it! But it was a very pretty green! We ended up with Watery by Sherwin Williams – a really really pretty blue with just a touch of green.

18. Leah says:

Loved seeing your list of blues! We are going to be posting our own list soon, too – what funny timing! Maybe it’s something about the beautiful blue fall sky we all want to capture. Loved this!

19. Leanne says:

I love blue too. And that cabinet you used in your foyer is to die for. I would love to pour those blue paints in the bathtub and soak in them, they look so relaxing. I think you matched the outfit perfectly to that gorgeous room. Love the blouse and the background (it is Paris isn’t it??)

I hope your daughter’s knee is healing well.

20. Couldn’t agree more….which is why my bedroom has a large dose of pale blue! My oasis!
    xo Elizabeth

21. Christine says:

Just stumbled across this blog today. LOVING IT!!! :o)