colorfully chic

Clearly I must be living under a rock because I’m just now realizing that one of my all time favorite designers, Ruthie Sommers, was featured in the March issue of House Beautiful.  It feels as if I’ve been waiting forever to see her next big project.  And her L.A. home is quite a delightful surprise.  It’s so preppy fabulous.

If you love bold colors, then this is a house tour you won’t want to miss.

Who else but Ruthie can make a palette of ice blue, apple green, poppy red, pale pink and navy effortlessly coexist under one roof?

Here’s a great tip she offers in terms of combining colors:

“Matching is for amateurs. That’s Decorating 101. I like all colors — soft, light, shimmery, deep. I’m a watercolorist, and one thing I learned from painting landscapes is that if you’re ever stuck, lighten your lights and darken your darks to create contrast.”  Ruthie Sommers

I want to jump inside this art cabinet and soak up all of the organization and happy hues.

Although I’m more of  a neutral girl at heart, seeing this space confirms my love of  pale blues in a future farmhouse palette.

Love Ruthie’s spitfire of an interview right here.   And you can see more pictures of her colorful home over here.

[photos by Victoria Pearson]

This entry was posted in Kitchens, Living Rooms, Paint Colors. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Maria says:

What a beautiful tour, love her concept on color….use it all!!! thanks for sharing!

2. RLG says:

I’ve loved her since Domino. Fabulous and colorful. Where is my House Beautiful — does the mailman read it before delivery??? xoxo

3. Ann says:

Love the color…………………..

4. Ceri says:

She is fantastic!!! I so enjoyed the interview in HB. I was in need of a creative spark and you always seem to provide an outlet for me…Thank you so much for sharing.

5. Amy N. says:

The pops of color in that kitchen are amazing! The contrast against the white walls and counters is beautiful!

6. Jessie says:

Beautiful house, totally my style! I love her use of colors in every space.

7. abby jenkins says:

If I could have anything in the whole house it would be that lemon yellow tureen! Fabulous! I might just have to spray paint one of my ironstone ones for my next set design!

8. hana says:

ahh! that quote makes me look at her work in a completely different way. i can totally relate, i’m a neutral girl in my home, but i do love looking at all those (not-matching) colors! xo

9. holly says:

i adore that type of rod..what do you call that..self return?

10. Kelly says:

LOVE the grasscloth and pink curtains in the entry!

11. mara says:

I’ve always wanted a checkerboard floor in my house; the pink drapes are amazing, now I realized I walk on one every day at work. Wish I couldve seen you in ATL! That Ritz is heaven:) We are going to the beach tomorrow! Where are you? Dying to see some of those lovely places in your ‘ville.

12. Meghan says:

Swooning over these bright fresh spaces! Especially love the office/desk area! Wow!