standing on the truth

Today’s idea came from my good friend, Nikole (here we are a few weeks ago touring the Atlanta Showhouse).  Nikole has been a friend for more than seven years.  I met her when I was about nine months pregnant with number three – bloated and battling bad brows.  She’s amazing and wise beyond her years – her natural elegance and charisma can’t help but command your full attention, yet her character and faith shine through in all that she does.  She’s just plain cool.  And I have great respect for her on so many levels.

So today’s little project is called Standing on the Truth.  The idea is to jot down an inspiring scripture on a tiny slip of paper whenever you need a little extra confidence, peace, patience, etc…then you slip the paper in your shoe, thus standing on the truth all day long.  It’s a great little secret weapon!

I applied this idea in a creative fashion to my recent horse show and shared it with all of the riders from our barn.  To share with the group, I recycled a pickle jar and labeled it, then cut down the scriptures and filled the jar.  We all picked our favorite scripture and slipped one in our boots before going into the ring.  I have to say, it really helped battle the nerves and added an element of comfort and assurance in doing our best.

Supplies you’ll need:  paper, jar, scriptures and scissors or handy slicer.

Type out your favorite scriptures then slice them down – fortune cookie size or bigger ; )  Because I’m slightly challenged with my scripture knowledge, I had to google things like “inspiring scripture” or “scriptures on strength.”  Tried to keep them down to one liners for simplicity.

For the label I used one of my faves, which is this free font

And some paper from Martha Stewart (can’t find the paper online – but it’s called “elegant” in 12 x 12).

Here is the final product.

This could be a fun project for kids to learn their Bible verses over the summer – I’ve already made a jar for one of our children and every morning she wakes up, reaches her hand in the jar and has a surprise scripture to read.  We discuss its meaning at dinner time – although things have been so busy that we’ve already forgotten a few nights.  This could also be a great inspiration jar before you go to work every day – or a motivation jar for enduring round the clock kids at home this summer, ha!

This entry was posted in DIY, Faith, Kids. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Alathia says:

A wonderful idea! Tomorrow I have a job interview. I haven’t worked in an office setting for 5 years and haven’t interviewed in in over 10. I’ll be standing in the truth tomorrow. Thank you! Jeremiah 29:11

2. Marianne says:

I love this! I’m going to have to adopt the idea. Love the photo of you and your friend, just gorgeous! Good friends are the best! xo

3. wonderful idea. your friend is absolutely lovely, inside and out.

4. starla says:

I have a couple of things happening on Thursday and Friday and I will be standing on the truth! I love it…thanks for sharing!

5. Seleta! This is just beautiful. I am supposed to be leaving to go to an appointment and your post email came up and even though I knew I should leave it for later I opened it anyway… I am so glad I did. What a lovely idea. I will do this and also share it with my Bible study group tomorrow. Please tell your friend Nikole that I appreciate her idea very much and I thank you for sharing! xo Sherri

6. Virginia says:

Love Nikole’s idea!!! I have Scripture on index cards…all over: on my mirror, in my hand bag, taped on my desk. But STANDING is a new one! Will forward this on to my Bible study group as well! xoxo

“Be on your guard; STAND firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.”

1 Corintians 16:13

7. Maria says:

Love this idea, such a beautiful and fun way to include kids in a craft and God’s word!!! Will do this!!

8. paige says:

great idea!! i love it!

9. holly says:

this is awesome..i just started scriputre memory with drew TODAY…we have been off of it for so long and he learned he has learned his verse already…. also today Emily at Jones design company did a free download of slips of paper, little banners for cute, they are the perfect size. God is clearing telling me to worry less about activites this summer and more about teaching scripture to my big boy..they are such sponges!

and i love that font, must download. do you have the Crystal Kluge darling monograms is so cute!

10. kelly says:

11. Missie says:

I love this idea, I know Nikole very well and she is a very special person, so this lovely idea seems like something right up her alley!!! Thanks for sharing!

12. Allison says:

First of all what a beautiful photo of the two of you lovely ladies! Second, what a beautiful idea and one that I will be using. I love this…Standing on the Truth. Thanks for sharing this, Seleta.

13. Trina says:

Love this idea! xo

14. Laura C says:

This is a lovely idea. I’m definately going to use this in my classroom. I’d like to use it for when a child is feeling down or struggling with a piece of work. Thank you.

15. Angela says:

I actually have scriptures written for both my kids that I have slipped under their mattresses so they are “Resting on the Word of God”. I love this idea!

16. Michelle says:

Super cute? Where O where did you find the little horse for this project?

17. […] a little extra confidence from scripture as you walk each day?  Try this inspiring idea for standing on the truth via Simply […]

18. MJ says:

What a wonderful idea!

19. Vanessa says:

What a beautiful idea. Plan on making a jar of my own to sit on my desk. Blessings to you ~Vanessa :)

20. What a wonderful way to hide God’s word in their heart!

21. Ash says:

Its commendable that you wish to integrate your faith in your day to day life and I can see from the comments that many others receive inspiration from your suggestions but if I may, the words of scripture are sacred words and should not be stored underfoot, maybe you could tuck it in some article of clothing, it might be more respectful?

22. Seleta says:

I appreciate your point of view and fully agree that it is sacred!

One Trackback

1. […] a little extra confidence from scripture as you walk each day?  Try this inspiring idea for standing on the truth via Simply […]