wednesday write

Today I’m setting aside the computer and taking some time write a few notes to friends.  I think there’s something so charming about receiving a handwritten note in the mail.  It’s the simple things that sometimes bring a smile.

QUESTION: Do you still enjoy the art of penmanship?

[photos from here and here]

This entry was posted in Random Thoughts. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted May 11, 2011 at 9:28 am | Permalink | Edit

I love penmanship…I used to write and re-write the letter “a” until it was perfect when I was younger. I hope we keep it in this digital age!

2. susan anneheim
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 10:06 am | Permalink | Edit

I still write notes 90% of the time. It is so much more personal and heartfelt. Its something that is becoming almost non existent due to the computer age. I love to find a handwritten note in my mailbox. And I tend to keep them tucked away. Kinda like pictures of my kiddies when they were little. Nice to go back and look at them. Guess Im just old school:))

3. Posted May 11, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink | Edit

I wrote three notes yesterday. You can’t beat a hand-written note.

4. Posted May 11, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Permalink | Edit

Nothing nicer than a handwritten note/letter that arrives in the mail! I am pretty good about sending out Thank You notes and even have a wax seal (that I should use way more often). I hope good old fashioned correspondence never goes out of style:) xo

5. Allison
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink | Edit

I love this post, Seleta! A couple years ago I had to go back and take pulic speaking in college. I was so shy and scared to death of that class that it held me back from getting my degree many years ago. I took the class a couple years ago so that I could finally get my degree and I gave one of my speeches on “The Lost Art of Writing a Hand Written Thank You Note”. The students in the class had no idea what a hand written note was. I was brought up writing hand written notes and still do so today. My Mother taught us it was “proper etiquette”. There is nothing better than opening your mailbox and receiving a hand written note. It’s personal, heartfelt and I so apprecite the time and love put into writing one.

6. Posted May 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink | Edit

Nothing nicer than engraved stationary. Call me old fashioned, but I love it!

Ann

7. Posted May 11, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink | Edit

if i could calligraph my shopping lists i would… i die over such prettiness!

8. Posted May 11, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink | Edit

I just need to mail them!

9. j
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Permalink | Edit

Be still my heart~
    I am somewhat obsessed with handwriting. I use a fine tip calligraphy pen when I hand write things just so it will look extra fancy. I have actually googled “how to write like an architect” as well and found a you tube video on how to do it! Emily over at jonesdesigngroup has the BEST handwriting ever!
    And, yes, I do enjoy getting a handwritten letter sent via snail mail…..
    xoxo

10. Laura C
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink | Edit

Love getting a handwitten letter. Feel it shows someone cares.

P.S. Regarding the typewriter. Did you know the last company in the world to make typewriters stopped production last month. Thought this was quite sad. There’s something quite charming about a typewriter.

11. Posted May 11, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink | Edit

I love handwritten notes and do them quite often. I think it means so much to send a handwritten note instead of email. It’s much more personal and shows you really gave some thought to it. I’m also a big fan of sending invitations in the mail for parties instead of evite, which I find so impersonal and dare I say ‘tacky’. You get a big YES from me for anything handwritten. My grandmother made sure we did this as children for our ‘thank yous’ after receiving gifts and it has stuck with me ever since. xo

12. Tim Gunn
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Permalink | Edit

A very good reminder. Personal notes convey much care and importance toward the recipient. I love your blog.

13. Nicole
    Posted May 11, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Permalink | Edit

I love the art of penmanship. I have a huge stash of stationary and cards, and I try to write to my Granny and other family and friends on a regular basis. There is just something about getting a hand-written card in the mail!

14. Posted May 11, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Permalink | Edit

Love writing a note… and love receiving a note. I used to be so great about sending them… I’ve been slacking lately!

15. Posted May 11, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Permalink | Edit

yes, sending & receiving! i need to do better about this too..

16. Posted May 12, 2011 at 2:56 am | Permalink | Edit

I love receiving letters, but it is so rare nowadays. I am pretty poor at writing them myself and type my letters to my grandfather because of his poor eye-sight but I would love to write letters and notes more often.

17. Posted May 12, 2011 at 10:10 am | Permalink | Edit

With all the bills and junk my mail lady delivers every day, nothing beats getting a hand-written note from a loved one!

18. jbhat
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 11:17 am | Permalink | Edit

Just the other night, I just slipped a few lines I penned into an envelope, destined for a far away former neighbor. A song came on that made me think of him and his wife, and I decided then and there to let them know that I was thinking of them. I hope they get as much pleasure out of receiving the note as I got from thinking of them during and after that song.

jbhat

19. Posted May 12, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink | Edit

I love this! It’s rare to receive anything that is handwritten anymore. My daughter and son have learned that after receiving gifts that they MUST write a thank you note. Unfortunately, due to the constant use of computers, my handwriting has declined greatly. I may have to pen a note every week for practice!

Thanks!

20. Leanne
    Posted May 12, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink | Edit

My handwriting is very ordinary to say the least but I do love sending thank you notes. Much more personal than an email. As my girls grow I would also like to teach them to write thank you notes too.

21. Aunt Kathi
    Posted May 13, 2011 at 12:17 am | Permalink | Edit

Great post! I think it probably brought back memories to all your readers about those from which we have received written notes as well as those we have written.
    In my opinion, handwritten anything is special. I try to write a special letter to my daughters, periodically, just to let them know how much they are loved.

22. Posted May 13, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink | Edit

really no letter nicer than a handwritten one…Happy weekend!

23. Posted May 15, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Permalink | Edit

I absolutely, 100% love that you took the time to write handwritten notes. How did it make you feel? It always makes me feel so full. I wish we all did this once a week instead of posting. It only takes 10-15 minutes to make someone’s day with a handwritten note. It shows that ONE person that you were thinking of JUST them…unlike a blog post written for the masses. Good fo thou, sweet Seleta!

Xo,
    Linsey

24. Posted May 16, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Permalink | Edit

Getting snail is it is so offensively called is like candy in the mailbox..who doesnt love that.

25. Posted May 17, 2011 at 9:31 am | Permalink | Edit

Suzanne – I love your description, that is so true!!!

Linsey – writing notes always makes me smile. And it’s far more relaxing than hacking away on a computer ; )

Aunt Kathi – I’m sure Julie and Jennifer love your special notes!

Kelsey – how wonderful that you have those letters from you and your husband as keepsakes of such an endearing time. You could blow up one section of your letters and decoupage it onto a small canister or plate!

Seleta

3 Trackbacks

1. By The Well-Appointed Desk on March 1, 2012 at 5:19 pm

[…] (via Simply Seleta) […]

2. By The Well-Appointed Desk on March 4, 2012 at 8:38 am

[…] Simply Seleta) This entry was posted in photo and tagged penmanship, writing by admin. Bookmark the […]

3. […]  {Wispy Bun, Lace Doily Cake, Wisteria, Love Letters} […]