ABC in Birmingham has invited me to be a regular guest each month on their live morning show, Talk of Alabama. I’m really excited about it! This week I zipped over to to their studio and shared a few creative and stylish gift ideas with lovely host, Nicole Allshouse. We actually ran out of time and didn’t get to everything!
You can check out our segment with my holiday gift ideas here. Note: the video link will expire in two weeks.
Many have emailed me asking for suggestions on making an easy yet stylish DIY gift. The first item I shared on the show is an idea I came up with at the last minute. And by last minute, I mean the night before driving to Birmingham for the show, ha ha. It’s quite simple and only takes about 10 minutes! This morning I hung them on one of our walls to show you how they look finished.
- Old newspaper (something cool like the New York Times could be fun)
- Inexpensive white frames and mattes (IKEA is a great resource)
- Wallpaper sample or decorative paper
- An animal or nature silhouette (google “silhouette” with the word deer, bird, horse, christmas tree or other creatures/items of your choice and print out)
For one of the silhouettes I printed out a dashing deer from this lovely blog.
- Pour yourself a cup of eggnog and relax.
- Cut out your printed out silhouette.
- Cut out your decorative paper or newspaper.
- Place silhouette on top of paper.
- Pop in the frame.
Tip: if you’re using newspaper, try laying your paper on diagonal to make it more interesting.