week of style

This week I’d like to talk chat about details in styling.  When it comes to beautiful design, my philosophy is that you don’t have to spend a lot of money on every item in a room; although having one or two “investment pieces” really pulls a room together.  When considering a finer piece of furniture, I look for three important qualities:

1. Functionality (will it provide a place to work or create, ample storage and/or organization)
  2. Good craftsmanship (does it have smooth rolling drawers, an excellent finish, dovetailing inside versus glue, etc.)
  3. Bold qualities (is there something unusual in the color, shape or style)

I recently acquired a classic piece that can mix well in any room and easily go with any color or style of decor.  It’s the Jacqui by Bungalow 5.

It’s a little more modern of a piece than I would normally select, but that’s good –  I needed something to stir things up a bit.  I thought really hard when deciding on a piece for our home – what color, what style, what size…and I have to say I love this chest!  I’ll have it forever (until I give it to one of my children someday).  The Jacqui gets a big check on all three of my objectives – functionality, excellent craftsmanship, and bold qualities.  I love how it’s modern and but still has traces of a traditional vibe with the curvy lines.   And the craftsmanship is amazing.

Over this next week, I’ll be photographing different ways to style a chest and I’ll use our new Jacqui as the model.   For today’s look, I styled it as a drink station that would be lovely for a small dinner party…kind of a gentlemen’s club meets modern equestrian vibe.  The items I used were extremely budget-friendly, one is even FREE!

Today’s look:  MOD EQUESTRIAN

IMG_2723

We don’t have a bar cart or frankly any room for one…so for entertaining, I love the idea of having a cocktail station in the living room and hors d’oeuvres in the kitchen.  This chest is a perfect spot!  Having drinks in a neighboring room gives everyone a chance to serve and visit without feeling too crowded.

IMG_2720

Adore this horse print, can you believe it’s a free printable?  I’ll share source at the bottom of the post.

IMG_2724

And the tray is a cheapie from Target.

Love the modern trellis vibe in the traditional cafe au lait color.

IMG_2718

SOURCES:

1. Chest:  Bungalow 5.  $1,690. You can contact Tracery Interiors to order this chest.  Price is 10% off if you mention simply seleta.   You may also contact Bunglow 5 at (201) 405-1800 for more info.
  2. Horse Print:  it’s a FREE printable I found over here.  Just click on the image and print.  I printed it on off white card stock and popped it in an IKEA frame.
  3. Tray: newbie from Target $24 over here.
  4. Coasters and Tree Print:  John Derian for Target.  Got those last summer.
  5. Lamp:  T.J. Maxx a few years ago.
  6. Pillow:  Tracery Interiors.  $86. I LOVE this pillow and used it on the banquette in our Southern Living shoot.  You can contact Tracery here to order one yourself.   Mention simply seleta and get 10% off.
  7. Flowers:  Bella Flora – my favorite florist in town.

.     .     .     .

INSPIRATION FOR TODAY’S STYLE:

I have to confess that my inspiration came from our little equestrian who had her second show this weekend.  We trailered by ourselves (Peter had a soccer game with our younger two) and had a great Mommy/Daughter day with her pony.  I was so proud of her riding – she showed in two open classes with adult riders as well as two classes with children her own age.  She did very well considering there were as many as 20 horses and riders in each class!  She’s such a talented rider and her pony, Marlee was a very good boy.

IMG_2697

This entry was posted in Accessories, Budget projects, DIY, Fabulous Freebies, Living Rooms, My Home. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Mary says:

Love the chest and your styling. Looking forward to the “week” of different styles!

2. I love the new furniture piece and the way it’s styled! I can’t believe the horse print is a free printable! That’s beautiful! I will have to check that out.

3. Lori H says:

That chest is beautiful!

4. Nicole says:

I’m crazy for what you have done here! I have looked at that tray multiple times on my regular trips into Target and have stepped away. Shame on me, now I’m thinking “don’t walk, run…” back to the store! Can’t wait to see what else you have planned.

5. Angie says:

Love the chest. This line of furniture is new to me and classic.

6. Jackie says:

Love this post and the style tips.

7. Lili says:

oooh, i saw that tray at target in red the other day. so tempted to grab one!

8. Shelly says:

That chest is fabulous and is a good spot to store table accessories.

9. Katie says:

I love how you styled the chest! Can’t wait to see your other ideas. Target is so addicting and so is TJ Maxx and Home Goods! LOL. I suppose I like to shop a little too much ;-)

10. Crissy says:

What a great purchase with such potential….. would look great in any room in the house! Your styling looks fantastic. I love the prints hung on the windows. Oh, and I own that lamp and tray too…….. birds of a feather :) Congrats to your sweet girl!

11. Perfectly styled and gorgeous! I’m headed to Target this weekend to pick up that tray. Love it. And congrats to your daughter!

12. Allison A, says:

Look at your beautiful daughter and her ribbons! Congratulations! She looks so happy. Your new chest is stunning…..love her curvy lines. Beautifully styled, Seleta.

13. Liza says:

That chest is a gorgeous accessory in your home. The look of it feels like a great handbag and the pulls are fabulous hoops. Love how you merchandised it!

14. Sara Gore says:

I have that same tray fgrom target and I LOVE IT! :) It’s so pretty and it wasn’t much at all! :)

Looks great!

Sara

Perfect! I need a pair of nightstands and those chests would be great….I am going to contact them today –
    Your girl deserves all those pretty ribbons and you deserve a wee drink from that pretty tray.
    Love to join you – I think we could stay up all night chatting about parenting, design, vignettes and more.

16. susan anneheim says:

LOVE that chest. What a great idea as a bar cart!

17. Kathy says:

Awesome chest and I love how you styled it for a party! I like to mix up different styles in a room as it keeps things more interesting. Great Target finds, and I adore that lamp! Congratulations to your inpiration subject. I know you must be a proud mama!

18. paula says:

your girl is such a beauty! Love the horse print. I believe it will make its way into our home too.

19. That chest is gorgeous! I love how you turned it into a makeshift drink station…beautiful!

20. Nancy Powell says:

Congrats on the horse show! That was my life with Bethany years ago, and it was one of the most special times in both of our lives…Love your cocktail chest..
    Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome

21. Terri says:

Fabulous. I need one!

22. Stephanie says:

Thanks Seleta for these style tips. That is certainly a classic piece.

23. Diane says:

What a beautiful picture of your daughter and her horse. She looks so proud.

24. carol jane says:

TJMaxx. really? For that lamp? I am so jealous! I have seen that same style, going for $200 or more. Love the chest too!!

25. […] via Copy Cat Chic, Brunch at Saks, My Luscious Life, Simply Seleta, Glitter Guide, Design Sponge, La Dolce […]

One Trackback

1. […] via Copy Cat Chic, Brunch at Saks, My Luscious Life, Simply Seleta, Glitter Guide, Design Sponge, La Dolce […]