dash of red

I’m a huge fan of a simple made-up face with a punch of red lips.  Still loving this lipstick I found while shopping on one of my trips to Boston.  But I think I may have stumbled upon a good back-up red for a fraction of the cost of my trusty Chanel.

At the tail end of what had felt like our family’s black plague, I accidentally discovered a super cheap and pretty red lipstick.  It was a night I ran into a drug store to grab packs of tissues for our sniffly brood.  Kids’ fevers were gone and we were desperate to get out of the house so we headed to the movies for a family outing.  I noticed my lips were as washed-out as my face, but I didn’t have my handy little make-up pouch with me.  After grabbing the tissue packs, I dashed over to the make-up wall of the drug store and haphazardly gravitated to a row of black lipstick tubes.  There were like a million different lipsticks.  I saw one section of black tubes and picked up one that said “No. 1” which seemed to be a nice, chic red.  I was rushed and figured no biggie if it ends up being a disaster since it’s only $6.99.

I got back in the car, disbursed my armful of tissues to our sickies, then pulled down the visor mirror to quickly apply this little tube of red onto my parched lips.

Was I ever surprised.

Screen shot 2013-01-12 at 12.28.30 PM

My experience with cheaper, red lipsticks is that they turn a weird blue-ish or pink-ish color after application that I can’t seem to wipe off.  Not in this case.  This shade was good.  Intensely red, creamy in application, and even in color.  It is a tad dark and has a stronger coverage than my sheer Chanel red, so I advise reserving it for the evening.

After putting it on I noticed a mediocre logo scribbled “Kate” on the side of the tube.  I laughed to myself, thinking “how funny, I picked up some teenager Mary Kate and Ashely brand.”

When I got home that night I googled the lipstick name out of curiosity only to find that it’s actually Kate Moss’ brand.  Hmmm, I had no idea she had a line of lipstick?  I also noticed it’s made in London by a company called Rimmel.

Clearly this Kate Moss can rock some serious red lips.

The lipstick I bought (color #1) is a deep red very much like the shade on this model.

I like red lips best when the rest of the make-up is soft.  And it’s interesting to me that red lips look good on so many different types of coloring.

From the fairest of blondes…

To the darkest of brunettes….

[Eva Green]

To deep auburn reds…

To gorgeous, darker complexions…

And the exotic, Asian tones.  Her skin looks like porcelain.

When looking on the Kate Moss Rimmel site, I found a very thorough two minute tutorial video showing how to create the “perfect red lip” by a make-up artist in London.  You can see it over here.

I find that Blondes are especially stunning with that whole minimal make-up/bright red lips look.  I have a good friend who has extremely fair skin with blonde hair and blue eyes.  She wears more of an orangey red lipstick and minimal make-up.  She is usually dressed in white on white and always looks so elegant.

Here’s a color very similar to what she wears.  It’s by Nars and called “Heat Wave.”  Found it over here.

Nars in “Heat Wave” on a model.  A little orangey for those of us with cool-toned coloring, but brilliant for blondes or those with more golden-toned hair.

Charlize Theron wearing a more subdued orangey red lip.

bafta tea party 4 150112

I think red lips make a very Euro chic statement.  Whenever I’m in a pinch and can’t spend time on hair and make-up (which is quite often), I toss on a white button down with jeans and boots, swoop my part to the side into a low pony and put on red lips.  Or I’ll wear all black with pearls and red lips.  Both easy, yet great go-to looks.

And this is usually where my lipstick is applied – on the fly in the car.  Here I am wearing the Kate Moss color #1.

Love my new little $7 lipstick find.  Let me know if you give it a try!

This entry was posted in About me, Hair, Make-up. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Zoe Borrowdale says:

Interesting ! I ve always thought Rimmel was a cheap brand to be avoided especially for cosmetics where good coverage is needed ie strong lip colours or nail colours but as I m off to the supermarket today I ll have a look at the range. I like a my red lipsticks

2. Zoe Borrowdale says:

Had a look at the lipstick. It does have good coverage and the colour is nice but the price here is nearly the equivalent of 10 dollars! They has some nice summer time colours so I ll have another look then

3. Seleta says:

Oops, was off by $4. Corrected the post. The lipstick is $6.99.

4. Claire says:

Good idea having a back-up red to toss in my purse. Thanks for the clever tip!
    P.S. Love all of the inspiring images.

5. Stewart says:

Trying this one today.

6. Farrah says:

I too love my Chanel red, but I also love having a good back up red. Giving his one a try.

7. Julie says:

Great post. I usually wear pink lipstick, but you’ve inspired me to be bolder this week and I’m going bright red! Thank you – I will try this lipstick.

8. MiMi says:

Gonna have to go and dig out my tube of red lipstick. When my son married in Dec with a winter wedding, I wore an aqua silk dress and red lipstick….had many compliments! Thanks for the memory!

9. Nicole says:

I have blonde hair and blue eyes and I can never seem to pull off orangey red. It always seems so shocking, but I keep trying to find just the right shade. For those of you blondes who feel the same, I found a nice alternative – Chanel Rouge Allure Emoi. I like the formula too. Wears very pretty with minimal makeup.
    Great images, Seleta. I’m not giving up on the blonde look you describe! ;)

10. marianne downs says:

Love your blog! Can you only buy this lipstick on line?

11. Seleta says:

Nicole, I completely understand – it took me years as well!!! I always felt like a clown when I would try out a bright red. Thanks for sharing your color tip with other blondes : )

Marianne, yes I picked mine up at Walgreens. I could have sworn it was $3 but researched online and it’s saying $6.99. Will double check today!!

12. Rachel says:

Hi Seleta,

I went to Walgreens to get a Kate red lipstick, but they were totally out. They cost $5.79 in Louisiana. Love when you give us beauty tips!!

13. Cheri says:

Oh my goodness,
    I too tried this a few weeks ago …while browsing through Target. I bought the Kate No.1 and was so pleasently surprised as well. I am blonde /blue eyed and 99.9 per cent of the time wear Bobbie Brown, (neutral lip). When I want to feel hmmmm… how do I say this… well a little vampy .
    I reach for this lipstick…so happy to hear you like it as well.
    Mwah…Moi…a little play on words humour.

14. KATHYSUE says:

Seleta, I am going to have to check this out! I have never found a red that looks good on me. gold undertones in skin, hair and green eyes with gold. I can not do an orange base red, and a blue base red is just too blue!lol. I need one rigggght in the middle. Maybe they will have one for me to try. I am familiar with rimmel, but not by kate moss! Thanks for the heads-up! You my dear look gorgeous as always!!
    If you are interested I did a post on tried and true skincare products that I love, several are from Paris and affordable!……

15. Kathy says:

What a fun post! I will have to run by Walgreens tomorrow. Hope they have it here in Iowa!

16. Seleta says:

Cheri, great minds think alike! ; )

Rachel, hope they stock up at your Louisiana Walgreens, ha.

Kathy, I bet red lips look fabulous with cashmere and snow in chilly Iowa!

17. Deb says:

I am in need of a great red lipstick!! Hope to find it today! Wish I had those lips that the model did in the tutorial – mine are so thin!
    Thanks for a great post.

18. Allison A. says:

I need to break out of my comfort zone and give red a try again. I love red lips on everyone else. So classic! I tried red once and felt that I stuck out like a sore thumb. Maybe this is the boost I need to go for it again!

19. Ingrid says:

I have tried this lipstick as it has won a number of reviews. I am blond so I think it is a little strong for me so I tone it down slightly but I would recommend it for dark haired people.

20. no35style says:

seleta, have your tried revlon really red? i have heard that is a good red and seems to get good reviews. i have not tried it and like others have stated, need to break out and try a red lipstick. looks so good on these models.

21. Found it at Target. Bought it. Love it. Thanks so much for being the guinea pig ;)

22. Seleta says:

Yay, I’m so happy it worked out for you Rachel!

23. Nancy says:

Just found it at the local Wal-mart, and it was only $4.83!!!! Can’t beat that! Thanks for the review!

24. Erica says:

I bought this a month or so ago! My first time getting red but my husband had been wanting to give it a try. I LOVE it. How funny.

25. Rose says:

Just coincidence that every model you posted has light colored eyes? Or do you think red lipstick looks best that way? I have brown eyes and haven’t been able to find a red that I love to wear.

26. Seleta says:

Two of the models in this post are women with brown eyes…but stay tuned because I have a follow up post covering this question!

27. Kimberly Pink says:

I just bought this lipstick today at my local Target for $3.99. It’s amazing how lipstick can change your entire mood. I love the color. I put a bit of another gloss lipstick I have over it for a little more moisture though. Thanks so much for posting about this lipstick!!! :)

28. K. Ott says:

Thank you! I got some last night at Walgreens and it was the first of about 20 times I have tried red lips, that I did not wipe it off! I loved it, my husband loved it and I did not feel like a clown. I very much appreciate the recommendation, and the photos you referred too, what a fun change.