feeling lucky

We’ve been busy as ever with the move.  At times I’ve worked 17 hours in a day and felt quite like this guy…

Screen shot 2013-03-12 at 2.15.43 PM

I’ve managed to unpack and set up our kitchen, laundry room, keeping room, master, kids bedrooms and closets.  With exception to our cased goods and beds that were professionally moved, Peter has hauled 90% of our home himself.  He loads and drives it over, I unpack and organize it all.  Still much work ahead, but all going well.  Moving is serious work!  Somehow I had blocked out/forgotten how stressful a move is until we were in the thick of it?!  Have to remind myself that setting up a nest takes a lot of patience, it doesn’t all happen at once.  The good news is we are LOVING life on the bay.  I had no idea it would be this beautiful???  So much nature to observe, sunsets that take our breath away, and animal activities happening on the water.  The dolphins frequent our bay regularly.  It really blows away any other place we’ve ever lived.  We are so happy here.

Before we moved, a surprise visitor came home with my husband.

Meet Lucky, our newest family member.  Peter was out buying horse feed and spotted this little puff squeaking in a box.  She was listed for a mere $2.50.  He couldn’t resist.  He texted me a picture on the way home.  I paused in disbelief.  He brought her inside and placed her right in front of me.  The “awwwws” from our children around the room were deafening.  “Seriously, a chicken,” I retorted with concern, “but we don’t even have a farm.”  The chick sat there staring.  How was I supposed to say no to this fluffy yellow face?  Peter wasn’t playing fair.

lucky1

“Okay” I thought, “we can do this…at least for a little while.  Lucky will just have to learn how to be a domesticated city/beach chick.”

And just like that, Lucky was a family member.  She (or he?) perched in our pockets, rode with us to Ballet, snuggled with the kids, visited our schools, listened to family devotions, hung out during homework, played dress-up, acted as Barbie’s pet ostrich, ran on the playground…and even assisted during my edit of Peter’s first children’s book (more on that later).

lucky5

Soon Lucky loved posing for the camera.  It was only the beginning.

lucky9

I had no idea that this delicate little barnyard bird could be so sweet and innocent.  She took many a nap in my lap while I pecked away on the computer.

lucky8

She charmed us with her sweet demands and need for affection.

lucky7

She taught the boys how to nurture and swaddle a baby.

lucky10

She wore crazy wigs for our entertainment.  Lucky Gaga.

lucky4

She gave out kisses.

lucky11

It’s been over a month and Lucky has grown beautifully into her role of baby doll and pet.  Shhhh, don’t tell her she’s just a chicken!

lucky6

She even takes rides on Pippi.  That relationship took some work, by the way.

lucky3

She’s now going through a bit of an awkward teen phase.  So we threw on a set of pearls.  A ladylike chicken indeed!

lucky2

.      .     .     .

It’s been a busy and productive month.  One filled with blood, sweat, tears, and plenty of laughs.  Our family feels blessed to have found the little house on the bay and one friendly chick to add to the joy.  I know we aren’t the average family, but I always say “who needs ordinary when you can have extraordinary?”

I’ll be back to blogging in April with a list of our things for sale and also share with you paint adventures with the new house….found some good colors to elegantly neutralize a space : )  Can’t wait!  You can still keep up with the me on instagram and pinterest – my favorite way to relax when I’m tired of unpacking boxes and doing laundry.

This entry was posted in About me, Happenings Around Town, Our Family, Our Pets. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Nicole says:

Can I be the first to welcome you to your new home via the blog, Seleta? These pictures of Lucky are HILARIOUS, and you crack me up with your color commentary! :):):)

you are true to your chic self, that is one mighty chic chick.
    remember roosters crow, but hens deliver….love your peeps with your peep.

3. Dawn says:

We live on the Chesapeake Bay and LOVE it. Congratulations to all of you! Also, maybe Lucky will give you Bay Fresh Eggs for your family. Very organic. :)

4. Kathy says:

Thanks for making me laugh!

5. Lesley says:

You are going to love living on the bay! I grew up on the bay in Orange Beach and right this very minute my 7 year old is digging in the sand on the water’s edge (live on Grande Lagoon in Pensacola now). If only we could have a Lucky chicken! What does your kitty think of her?

6. Aunt Pat says:

Seleta –this may be one of your best posts.
    you are rebuilding your nest literally and figuratively for the human and other-folk.
    look forward to pictures of when you’ve landed.

much love to you all.

7. Aunt Pat says:

children’s book?!? this must be a Howard family gene.

8. Hope says:

Barbie’s Ostrich!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!! That is just hilarious! Glad to see your dog likes the chick. We had a couple of chicks and the dogs . . . well, it didn’t end very well. Good luck!

9. Nancy Powell says:

What a wonderful life! It sounds like mine as a child. We had horses, dogs, 2 pet ducks and a few chickens. Good luck with your transition..sounds like you are adapting just great!
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

10. Lori H says:

Lucky is adorable (qnd aptly named). The picture with the pearls made me laugh out loud! Looking forward to photos of the new place once you are settled. Happy nesting!

11. Meg says:

So funny about your chicken because my husband and son suddenly decided to add chickens to our little family of four kids, four cats, and two dogs. We are now the proud owners of 22 – yes, I said 22- baby chicks! Oh my!! The road less traveled by . . .

12. Mom22 says:

Hilarious post….loved it, especially the pearls!

13. kayce ughes says:

I love your new friend and I am also happy that my children and husband don’t read your blog! I hope that you get to enjoy a relaxing weekend!
    xokc

14. omg, chicken!!!! SO ADORABLE! i love chickens, and i love that you have a baby chick living with you :) whenever i have to go to cal ranch for work i always have to stop myself from buying a chick. so sweet! and good luck with the rest of your move, we just did it so i know how terrible it is (and considering you have more children than us, i can only imagine you have more things to move too, yikes!). keep strong, lady ;)

15. Donna says:

I love Lucky – she’s adorable! Your family must be adoring her. We’re hoping to move on a bay here before long – keeping our fingers crossed! Can’t wait to hear more about your new place – the Emerald Coast is just beautiful, isn’t it? Moving is such a job!

16. Crissy says:

Love it! What a wonderful experience that you will be talking about for a lifetime… “remember when?….” Congrats on your new home!

17. CArolyn says:

So glad you are back online. You and your family were missed! What a wonderful addition to the family Lucky makes…now I want one. Please enjoy the pleasure having a pet gives to the whole family while you have young children to care for, enjoy and ‘train’ the pet into the household. Now that I am an empty nester, it will be just me for the next pet and that will change the dynamics!
    Loved this post. xox

18. Alana says:

You should write a children’s book about Lucky! She is precious.
    Congrats on the move. Enjoy the bay!

19. Good Morning Seleta,

Everything about this post melted me. I read it twice. Thank you for allowing me to remember the importance of the little things. Those that are unexpected. I LOVE Lucky and can’t wait to see future installments of her (it’s the pearls) growth, adventures and play group photos.

It sounds like all is going well at the Bay.

~Lori C.

20. Allysha says:

Oh my, Seleta! That is one of the sweetest things I have ever seen! Hope you survive the move, etc. Sounds amazing, though!

21. Design Chic says:

I am thrilled for you all – such a beautiful area and I can hardly wait to see images once you get settled. How lucky is Lucky – a wonderful family to join and just in time for the new house!! Happy moving ~

22. Ingrid says:

I am cheered up every time I see a picture of this cute bird. Good luck with the unpacking and every best wish for a happy and healthy life in your new home.

23. Jennifer says:

What a sweet little story and addition to your family! I’ll look forward to hearing about Lucky and your new house on the bay! We moved in January and I feel your pain in regards to the amount of work involved in setting up a new home! We had moved before, but this one seemed to just about do us in – there was much more to it than we remembered! :)

24. Sheila says:

Best post ever! Looking forward to the new house…but especially, more Lucky!

25. Lauren says:

Big hug Seleta!! I’ve loved following Lucky on instagram!! hang in there
    xoxo,
    l\Lauren

26. Michelle says:

Seleta,

I loved this post! Are those your glassbaby votives filled with carnations?! Love.

Have a wonderful Easter.

Love,
    Michelle

27. Elisa says:

Best post ever. I may never eat chicken again. Just got back from 30A- can’t wait to read about your new place. We are contemplating buying a place in Watersound Beach.

28. Zaby says:

I want to be very sensitive about this in case I missed an early post but wondering about life with a fun little chick running around… Pom Pom?

29. BethA says:

Missing your posts! Hope your move is going smoothly.

30. Alyson B says:

Just found your blog today. See you have not posted in a while but wanted to let you know I love the little chicken post. We have a pet hen named Coo-coo and she has her own mirror on the front porch that she likes to look at herself in.

31. LLH Designs says:

That is one cute city chick! We know all about the awkward teenage chicken phase. We have chickens of our own now that we live on a farm (just got them earlier this year). But even if I still lived in the big city, I was determined to have some! (Don’t you wish they could stay little forever?)

32. leslie says:

What a sweet post.. these photos are precious! Congratulations on your move. Sounds like it’s been a crazy time for you. First time stopping by and I’m going to take a look at some of your past posts:)

33. kathy says:

Hope you blog again soon! I miss reading your posts:)

34. Matina says:

Hi Seleta, we miss your posts! I hope everything goes well with your family.
    Love,