Father’s Day is this weekend so I solicited the help of my aquatic husband to give us gals some tips on gifts for the guy who loves all things water. Peter could spend endless hours scuba diving, paddle boarding, snorkeling, kayaking, water skiing and boating. He swims several miles every week…
And paddle boards or kayaks any chance he gets. Thinking back on it, water has always been a huge part of his life…he grew up on the beach and even proposed to me on a Hatteras he chartered for what I thought was going to be a casual sunset cruise…surprise!
Since our move, paddle boarding has practically become a daily ritual around here. Kids love to hitch a ride with their merman dad.
Our oldest has followed in his footsteps and has already earned his junior scuba certification. Woot!
Here are some of Peter’s top picks for the sea-bound dad.
2. I’m no expert, but Peter and our oldest son inform me this is the paddle of all paddles. Lightweight and bad to the bone. The one we gave him for Father’s Day is right here. The whole paddle line with other colors and styles is over here.
3. It’s been mentioned here before that my husband’s life is not complete without a super power flashlight. He is obsessed and loves this one and this one, which is even more powerful. It’s waterproof, which, aside from being able to light up three square miles and singlehandedly blind a herd of deer, I think is his favorite part. If your guy needs a hat with handy flashlights built in, then this serious business hat for only $29 is the one. It’s called a Powercap…and they’re not kidding!
4. I think I imprinted on Maui Jims when Peter and I had our first date – we met for lunch at a cute place in historic Marietta then hopped in his car to take a ride to get ice cream or something. I’ll never forget how cute he was when he put on his Maui Jims before we drove away! It was like a James Bond moment or something, ha ha haaaa. He likes this pair and I concur ; )
5. Peter swears by this Columbia Omni Freeze shirt. I love the lines – you’ll see it’s very flattering for your man’s pecks, arms and waist, meow. Apparently there is a cooling system that makes it feel like a blizzard when you’re sweaty and hot?! Columbia has a cool video showing how it works here. It’s so convincing that it makes me consider running a mile alongside a mountain.
FOR THE LAST MINUTE SHOPPER….
Here is another list of what Peter says are simple but great “must haves” for a guy. I did not contribute, this is all him. He really loved his assignment! I actually learned some more about him while putting this collage together. And I was a little sad to not see any gingham, cufflinks or JCrew goodies in it, ha ha. The good news is many of these items you can pick up locally – it would be adorable to put a few things in one basket and tie on a sweet note from the kids.
1. Peter says this is his favorite belt ever.
3. Take it from me, this handy little device can save your marriage on picture hanging and DIY projects ; )
4. Favorite sandals here.
5. Bose noise canceling headphones. Not kidding, Peter uses these all the time.
6. Fun nautical watch.