So I’m one of those peeps who loves winter. Cozy nights by a roaring fire, sipping hot tea, a brisk ride on my horse on a chilly day. You get the idea. I think this love may have blossomed after enduring 40 years of long summers seething with heat and humidity. I have “glistened” more days than I care to admit. Ironically, I have a collection of coats which reflects either a wild imagination or refusal to admit that I live in a state that is 80 degrees or more nine months out of the year. But the truth is I love wearing layers, feeling a chill in the air, and getting all snug by the fire at home. A snippet of our family room…
Keeping with my refusal to face our warm climate reality, I purchased another coat to add to my growing collection – this little darling. Eeek, just noticed it’s sold out – found more on sale over here. Wasn’t sure what to expect with the color, and I knew it was a final sale, but decided to go for it because I passed up this particular style last year. I like the length and versatility. Have to tell you I am so pleased with the color, detailed lining, and overall quality. So much more fun than yet another dreary black coat.
Here are a few more of my favorite luxuries to keep your nest warm and cozy in the winter months:
1. Candles. A must. It instantly changes the mood to warm and elegant in any space. I use them everywhere – family dinners, side tables, coffee tables, hallway chests. Something about the flicker of a flame makes me feel cozy and happy. I especially love mercury votives – love the cool sparkle of silver against the warm tones of fire. Mercury votives are so affordable. Most of mine are from Tracery, but I’ve supplemented here and there with clearance finds from Homegoods and Target.
2. An extravagant throw. I crave curling up by the fire with a good read…or these days watching Downton Abbey. The most beautiful yet practical blanket I have ever purchased is this super plush herringbone throw. I went with neutral, but it also comes in four other beautiful shades. It’s thick and cozy for cold days yet light enough to leave out for spring and summer. Had this for seven years and still love it.
This navy blanket is also fun. Would be pretty draped on the chair and ottoman in my bedroom. On the wishlist!
3. A nice cup of tea. I found this heat proof glass teapot and it has tempted me to ditch our old metal kettle. Does anyone have this? It looks promising.
4. A beautiful tray – either to stylishly accommodate refreshments (champagne, hot cocoa, tasty nibbles, hot tea) or simply house stacks of books and fresh flowers. My favorite tray to date is this gorgeous inlay tray from Tracery. You may remember me featuring it in this post on entertaining. Use it ALL the time. Here it is holding a cup of tea and cookies.
5. Toasted marshmallows. Not to worry, you don’t have to brave frigid temps or a rustic campfire to enjoy s’mores. Thanks to this delightful recipe you can enjoy a small platter of freshly toasted s’mores indoors.
Do you have a favorite winter luxury? Would love to know.