baby inspiration

A while ago I had two readers email with a request that I write a post on my favorite baby names.  While their emails were independent of each other, both were expectant mothers.  I really had the best intention of putting together a carefully thought-out list for them, but time got away from me.   Their babies are probably in preschool by now!  Last summer I finally did put together a list of some favorites for a blog post (outside of my own children’s names, of course) and had fun thinking of new names.  Thought it would be helpful to share my list, in case there are other expectant mothers who could use a little inspiration.

Let’s begin with the girls.  I select a name based upon three criteria:  Originality, elegance, and versatility.  An original name is always appealing as well as one that is elegant enough to give them flexibility in life.  For instance, a “cutesy” name that sounds fun as a baby isn’t always great later in life.  Especially if they have aspirations to be any type of leader or taken seriously in a business meeting.

And the boys.  I find boy names harder to select if you’re going for something more original.  Many “unique” names just sound weird for a guy.  That being said, for this list I went classic with an original twist.

If I were to design a nursery these days, I think I would go with a soft vibe like this one.  Funny, the colors are a muted version similar to our youngest son’s nursery, which I never technically finished, but shared with you years ago here.

Or this easy, simple space.  Love that the room has both a regular bed and crib in it – great for long nights with baby or for two siblings sharing one room.

If you’d like me to put together an inspiration board for a nursery, leave a comment so I know there’s an interest.  I have a few ideas brewing.  Let me know and I’ll get started on a post.

This entry was posted in About me, Bedroom, Budget projects, Children, Playrooms, Random Thoughts. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Annalise says:

Wonderful list of names. Yes a nursery post would be amazing. I’m sure you must miss those years. Love your inspiration.

2. Cecile says:

I like the nursery photos you posted. Peaceful decor. The link to your son’s nursery reminded me of Pom Pom. Do you still have Pom Pom? I can’t believe how many years I’ve been reading your blog!

3. Dawn says:

I adore coming up with baby names. Really, I just want to be the person who names everyone’s babies. :)

My favs of your gorgeous list of names: Adelaide and Rainer. Emma Lane is also beautiful – and Lane is actually a family name for me. I’m sorry I didn’t think of it!

4. Gina says:

My youngest is named Georgia Mae (family name) and people always comment on how southern it is. Love picking out names :). I also love the name Claire Elise. Thanks for your wonderful posts. They are always thought filled and full of great pictures.

5. Kendal says:

We chose Anneliese for our youngest daughter. Our spelling is the German spelling. Our oldest daughter is Elodie Claire, Elodie being a family name. We’ve always liked Brooks, so if a boy comes our way one day, that will be the one.

6. Lauren says:

Yes, please, to a nursery inspiration board! This post is especially timely for me, as I have an 18 month old daughter, Cora, (whose nursery I still need to put the finishing shelf styling touches on) and another wee one on the way!

7. Emily says:

Thank you for this list! I’m having a little girl in August and need help picking a name! I have always loved Emma. With my name being Emily do you think the names are too similar for me to use Emma? I would love that she would have a hint of my name in hers but I worry our names might be too alike.

8. Ashton says:

Thanks for this post! I would LOVE a nursery inspiration board. I will be designing one soon and I would love to see what you would put together! I’ve also been wondering about Pom Pom but haven’t asked. Thanks again for the post!

9. Seleta says:

Hi Ashton and Cecile,

We believe Pom Pom passed away – he suddenly disappeared two years ago. It has been hard, we miss him SO much! : (

I think the name Emma is a lovely idea! We did the same with our youngest son, Pierce, which is the English version of Peter. Maybe you can pair the name Emma with a family name or your maiden name.

Thanks, everyone for the feedback! I’ll get started on a nursery inspiration board.

10. Cecile says:

Thanks so much for your reply Seleta. I’m so sorry to hear about Pom Pom. Our pets are like family. Aren’t they? I continue to enjoy your posts and your style. Thank you for providing so much inspiration! I hope your busy May goes smoothly!

11. Ashton says:

I too am so sorry about Pom Pom, but I have no doubt he lived a fabulous life just like the rest of your pets :)

12. Annalisa says:

That’s so funny that you put Annalise on your list. My parents are from Austria and wanted to give me a traditional german name, but they changed the spelling slightly so it could be more easily pronounced and spelled by Americans (german spelling is “Anneliese”).
    My nickname is Annie, pronounced “Ahh-nee” (german spelling/pronunciation).
    Anyway, I receive compliments on my name nearly everyday, for my past thirty years of existence.

13. Ashley Thomes says:

That is crazy that my daughter’s name made your list because it is such a family name . . . .Emma Lane. Emma is for my great grandmother and Lane is my middle name, my mothers, grandmothers, etc. . .
    I have never heard of another Emma Lane :)

14. Melissa says:

As a mom of three boys, I would love a design board or two on boys rooms! Love your style!

15. Tiffany Ensign says:

Such a great list! I really struggled with boy names during my pregnancies – finally settled on Tucker (came about because my husband graduated from the Tuck school of business Dartmouth)
    his middle name is William. I have twin girls, Tawny Holland and Skylar Berkeley (middle names are their grandmothers maiden names)

16. Leslie says:

I would love to see nursery design boards!

17. Kristin says:

I would love for you to share nursery ideas

18. […] I have left) as this is a completely wild week, I put together key elements of a nursery based upon these two nurseries we discussed.  I think the trickiest part of starting any room is deciding on details such as […]

19. Mimi says:

Love the names…we are expecting our precious little granddaughter Clara-Cate to arrive in August!

20. Lauren Schiff says:

Hi Seleta!
    I stopped in for a visit and what did I find? Seleta talking about nurseries?? How apropos: I am pregnant for the second time (and probably last) so this comes at a perfect time. Thanks for the tip on the Blabla doll, they could not be more adorbs!

I don’t know if I am having a girl or boy yet. I have a boy now (as well as a step-son), so if we have another boy baking, I feel like I have a better idea for another boy nursery… BUT, if it’s a girl?!? The sky’s the limit! Oh boy, if it’s a girl, I just don’t know if I want to do a pink wash over the room, or pink accents with mostly neutral linens and bows, or a fabulous wallpaper from Thibaut. I don’t know if I will want to get away from pink altogether. I always wanted a pink, girly room as a kid. But then if I had it I probably would have wished I had a lilac and lavender room- ha!

So your posts on nurseries would be delightful for me! I hope you’ve had a positive response to them, because, as always, your creative eye is tres inspiring!

Lauren Schiff